Sunday, August 8, 2010

Remember Lard?

.
Remember those good ole days of cooking eggs with butter? Of frying things with lard? those saturated fat. Well, these days those products- and anything else that has saturated fat-  got such a bad rap - the threat of heart disease!!! or worse!!!!- many people avoid these things like a plague.



Well, I'm not a nutritionist, so I can't tell you what to do, but here is some food for thought...

First from wikipedia on Saturated fat:

Saturated fat is fat that consists of triglycerides containing only saturated fatty acid radicals. There are several kinds of naturally occurring saturated fatty acids, which differ by the number of carbon atoms, ranging from 3 carbons (propionic acid) to 36 (Hexatriacontanoic acid). Saturated fatty acids have no double bonds between the carbon atoms of the fatty acid chain and are thus fully saturated with hydrogen atoms.


And here is a Dr. Sally Fallon and Mary Enig's article: excerpt
Dr. Mary Enig, a nutritional biochemist, argues that we are now obese because we stopped eating saturated fat. She makes these points....(you can read the rest at Nourished Magazine).

Again, I am totally not a nutritionist, so I am not telling you what to do. Just to weigh the information rather than gobble up what the mainstream media is feeding us (we already know how quick they are willing to bad rap BW, let alone the entire black community. Why wouldn't they have an agenda ($$) when it comes to marketing food and dietary pushes?).

So, what's causing folks to be overweight? What's the non-politically correct answer?

It seems that the main culprits are sugar (which includes corn syrup) , white flour (which drains away whatever vitamins and minerals we take in), trans fatty acids, and overly processed foods (which damage the body).

Again, I'm not a nutritionist, and sorry to say, research all on your own is necessary. Nobody will have a quick answer for anything and the lazier one is, the more dependent we are on other's info.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's causing people to be overweight is they are taking in more calories than they are burning off.
I was the primary caregiver for my mother for 12 years and the last 7 of those I moved back to the hood with her.
Our hood was South Central L.A. and I immediately noticed how many fast food restaurants were in a little plaza next to Martin Luther King hospital.
There was a Kentucky fried chicken,a McDonalds,Taco Bell,a Louisiana fried fish joint,a Chinese take out,a Submarine sandwich,a Pizza Hut,a Denny's restaurant and a Starbucks.I was surprised at the Starbucks because their coffee was
so expensive.But they got a lot of traffic from the hospital.This shopping center had more places to get fast food than legitimate businesses.
I had lived in the Jewish hood of Pico-Robinson for ten years and there was a Jack in the box on my street.The next fast food place was miles away.Now there was a Kosher pizza place and dozens of other Kosher restaurants,but no McDonalds or other typical fast food places.

Miriam said...

Hi Anonymous,

I think you're right.

I really worry for the Black community. All these restaurants are not out for their benefit.