.
Only because these things won't get reported....
There is a heatwave going through Israel. Thank G-d. What else can I say. Anyway, I realized that at some point I do have to take the kids out. So, I did. We trudged through the blazing heat. I paid a bill. The kids played around. Then we went back home which was uphill.
While pushing the stroller up I saw a religious Jewish man also with a stroller. His was a double stroller. And, as kids are wont to do, one of the kids took off her visor hat that threw it to the sidewalk. The man tried to let go of the stroller to get the hat but quickly realized the stroller would roll down the hill if he let go. As he stood there wondering what to do, a fully garbed Arab lady has walking by.
As she walked by she swoops down and picks up the hat and hands it to the man and keeps on walking. Priceless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Tsfat we are preparing for the klezmer festival. There will be lots of music playing, lot sof musicians panning their CDs, lots of kyosks selling trinkets and what not. The other day, the kids and I passed by one of the stages that was being prepared. There was a young Arab or Druzy (not sure sometimes) boy about 18 years old who was painting the stage wall, etc. He had been working hard and was sweating. And he had nothing to drink -there is a heatwave nowadays. As I passed, he ask, "Do you have some water?"
I didn't.
I felt bad and asked if he'd like me to go to the store for him and get some water. He said no so I went home. But it bothered me. He's obviously thirsty and maybe too shy to put me out of my way. But at the same time I don't want to be too forward in this very conservative society. When I got home I asked Mr. BFWF if he would bring that kid a nice bottle of water. I filled a bottle w/water and ice.
2 comments:
In Arad one sees a lot of Beduin and almost all of the women are veiled. I sometimes wonder about their lives but they are not exotica to me because I've spent enough years in Israel and had contact with Arab culture(at least in my pre Jewish days)and actually enjoyed their hospitalty,all the while not letting anyone know I was a Jew.I do remember my shock the first time I saw a burka wearing,veiled Muslim in Los Angeles.I was so glad I already had 6 years in Israel under my belt,so I could talk to her like a normal person,even though it was a first for me.
Here I assume they think I'm a Hebrew and that's fine with me.There is one Beduin lady who was sent by an agency to clean for me and everytime I see her she invites me to her home and is the friendliest person I've met here.So why haven't I gone by?I thought I could help her kids in English and she could help me with my Arabic,which has gone by the way side from disuse.But I've yet to make the effort.What went through my mind was that I'm basically friendless here and because of mobility problems have to use a walker and am housebound.What if this Beduin-Arab became my only real friend?The thought of that was to much and so I've put the visiting on a back burner.I even wondered why she was so friendly.I told her I was a converted Jew.Isn't it strange what goes through our minds sometimes?
Shalom, Anonymous,
I totally understand. I don't think the world does, but being in Israel helps me to understand.
For me, I also had very good relationships with individual Muslims. They seem to care and actually think how to help me, etc. Once I was waiting in line while holding a baby and an Arab lady just offered to hold the baby for me.
Needless to say I was fretfully nervous. Because on the other hand, As an Arab, they know the Koran like I know English language. And the Koran actually says to hate the Jews, to kill the infidels, etc. And so somewhere humanity peeps its modest head and we do alright...
Until the hardliners come in...
Post a Comment