Thursday, July 4, 2013

Over Coming Insecurity

From wikipedia: Emotional insecurity is a feeling of general unease or nervousness that may be triggered by perceiving of oneself to be vulnerable in some way, or a sense of vulnerability or instability which threatens one's self-image or ego.

I think one big stumbling block for many Black Jews and others as well, is the insecurity factor.  The fear that people will out them and treat them badly because they are different when in a mostly (and sometimes only) white Jewish setting. White Jews have insecurities as well -y'all can't hide it neither! lol.

But how do we overcome this? Particularly for Black Jews, because very often their worries are valid. 

I remember once my guard was down and I was speaking with a friend.  Because I couldn't think of a more appropriate word, I used the word, "obfuscate".   Ohh! Everything changed! He looked at me and made a big noise, "oooh! you know that word! three syllables!" and on and on he went. It was as if I was not suppose to know this word and if I did it was a big surprise (disturbance?). Such a big deal was made to last the next time I venture out of my "lowliness" to dare use such multisyllablic word.

If using such words causes such a ruckus, if using such words rocks the boat so much, how can a Black Jew even venture into discussing topics which require such words for convenience? Why is it seen as such a bad thing for a black person to sound.... intelligent?


to be continued...

No comments: