Friday, August 10, 2012

Sefer Mishlei -Book of Proverbs


One thing I like about the book of Proverbs/Mishlei (and highly recommend it! ) is that it speaks "between the line" language.  Like for instance, there is a section that says,

"My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not. 11 If they say: 'Come with us, let us lie in wait for blood, let us lurk for the innocent without cause  12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave, and whole, as those that go down into the pit;"

Proverbs 1:12

Now, if someone said that to me, I mean if someone said, "Hey, Miriam..let's go lie in wait for some blood! Hey let's lurk for the innocent without cause, it'll be loads of fun!!"   i'd laugh them off the planet. What? Lie in wait for blood? are you kidding me?!  But if we take that phrase and cloth it to how people talk nowadays, then its a different story.  I have fun with my kids trying to figure what how things would be said in the regular way of speaking.

No comments: