Sunday, July 31, 2011

The "Jewish Tribe" in Uganda

The "Jewish Tribe" in Uganda

n Jewish circles, the country of Uganda is best known as the proposed location for a Jewish state, by Theodor Herzl a century ago, and for the spectacular Entebbe hostage rescue in 1976.
Today, Uganda is the unlikely location of a devoted community of several hundred people who are not yet converted to Judaism, but who have clung to its tenets for nearly 100 years. Unlike other groups who claim to be descendants of the Ten Lost Tribes, these Ugandans simply and wholeheartedly chose Judaism. Though isolated and persecuted, the Abayudaya – the Luganda word for "people of Judah” – practice full Jewish observance and yearn to be part of the Jewish nation.


~~~~~~~~
Please follow the link to read more of about these strong willed people!

And in case you were wondering why the quotation marks around "Jewish tribe": They were converted by a conservative rabbi, and not all streams of Judaism considers them Jewish.

Word to the wise, if you ever do want to convert, better to do it Orthodox that way all streams accept it. Crazy, but that is just a survival tip. Do what you want really.

6 comments:

C Yocheved said...

lol did you beat me to it? I just sent this to you!
:-0

Miriam said...

No, I got it from you. I want to send u a thank you. you beat me to my thanking you! lol.

יונה אברהם said...

Shalom Miriam,
I'm back!I read the article about the convert rav who "reconverted",and that isn't the first time I've read about an Arab in Israel who converted,married and went back to his Palestinian Muslim roots.The other one that I'd read about is in jail as his Hamas affiliated brother got him involved in terrorist activities in Haifa.

I can't imagine the pressure brought to bare on an Arab who becomes a Jew and remains in Israel.It might be easier if they moved to another country where no one knows them.

Miriam said...

I can't even imagine the pressure and stress a Arab must go through to even begin conversion process.

I wonder if the numbers/stats may be skewed because those who successful convert and stay Jewish, must really hide never to be seen again?

יונה אברהם said...

I knew of a Black Beduin,the son of a sheikh from the West Bank who became Jewish and had to flee for his life.He continued to live in Israel(well he was in Israel more than 20 years ago),but knew that he could be murdered for apostasy.

Miriam said...

wow.

its like every person has their story!