Friday, May 27, 2011

Taking Heart

A few days ago, I was at a meeting with some people.  We were all discussing how to help the African Jewish communities --at least, the communities that expressed an interest -on their own- to become Jewish.

The main man there seemed so nice, so caring. I don't understand how some whites can be so completely prejudice and some people like him can be so not! Even my husband. Even people who have dated my sister, they don't bat an eye when it comes to color. I am grateful and happy for their existence, but I still wonder how it happens: what decides that a person will be hateful?

In the meeting, it dawned on me that it would take many many years to help and to be where we want to be. I was crushed. But this trooper wasn't.  He was even resigned to the fact that it may take years and years -the guy is an older guy- and looked at me and said, 'but you're young".  I wanted to cry.

Finally, overwhelmed by it all I asked, "how come your not prejudice?!" 

He looked at me and said, "hey, I"m African!"

Where do these ppl come from? Baruch Hashem/ Praise Gd.

(the only problem with having non-religious Jews coming to help an African community that wants to be religious Jews...is that its confusing for the Africans.)

3 comments:

C Yocheved said...

I have honestly wondered the same thing, how some people are so open-hearted and not prejudiced while others are. I've asked my husband about this, too. He doesn't know, he just is who he is. :-) And his parents are pretty amazing too.

Micha said...

C Yocheved,

If only it was something that could be turned into a spray! lol. Then I 'd carry it around in my purse and spray folks who need it.

Miriam said...

oops! that was Miriam commenting above. Wrong account.