Monday, February 4, 2008

"Sundown Towns"

I always had a creepy feel around the suburbs that I worked at. It was extremely....white. That didn't bother me so much because I wasn't much of a loafer. I have a hard time just sitting at a cafe! I usually come, do my business, and go home.

But after reading Siditty's post on "Sundown Towns" I am so glad I didn't hang out! There are actual towns that don't want minorities around once the sun goes down!

You can read the original from Ann's blog

And Siditty's post.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Black Fire, thanks for the shout-out.

The Sephardi Safari said...

I read Ann's post; I would respectfully disagree with the position that Cicero, IL is a sundown town today. Just about the entire village is Latino -hardly the lynchin' kind, too busy watching their own behinds for abusive whites. Other than that, I would presume that she has done her research and is painfully on-target.

I grew up in south-central Indiana, which was THE Klan headquarters in the 1920s. It was told to me as a young man that nearby Martinsville once had the "N-gg-r don't let the sun set on you" sign of which Ann writes, and I can believe it. That attitude pervades that entire section of the state, which is largely redneck.

(I'm from Bloomington, which is a college town and a positive oasis of multiculturalism in an otherwise festering morass of ill-educated inbreeders.)

I must get a copy of Sundown Towns. It is not something that a 21st century American wants to believe about their country, yet I find it so difficult to be surprised anymore.

Torrance Stephens bka All-Mi-T said...

Im gone check it out, but dont feel that way, i feel super safe on my 11 acres. hope u dont mind me dropping by, do chk me out one day when u can