Friday, January 18, 2008

Why Can't the BC Rally Together....

For anything? For a prolonged period of time? One of these days I want to take some time out and really understand how many supporters did MLK really have at the time. And How many supporters Malcolm X really had. Was it a lot? Was there a lot of infighting? If there were a lot, how did they manage to keep so many inline? (Well I guess the black community was split between Malcolm X and MLK.)

I want to venture to say that had we our own statisticians, historians, politicians, and doctors that we listened to I wonder if how we view ourselves would be less riddled with self-loathing that SOME have. Perhaps we'd be more in tact.

Just like in the Town of Kings story, the BC and I think many across the continent of Africa has this "I am the Queen" mentality. I am NOT saying its bad, nor that it needs to be fought against. But maybe if we accepted it, and devised different tactics corresponding to this mentality, perhaps we'd get farther faster?

Just putting the idea out, in case anyone can run with it.

2 comments:

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Miriam,

The Black community doesn't rally together because there really is no one Black community.

The same way there are different groups of Jewish people with differing perspectives and beliefs, the same goes for Black people.

We are not a monolith, we are middle class, working class, married, single, divorced, college educated, non-college educated and so on.

"I want to venture to say that had we our own statisticians, historians, politicians, and doctors that we listened to I wonder if how we view ourselves would be less riddled with self-loathing that SOME have. Perhaps we'd be more in tact."

Well first those people would have to have a positive perspective. If they are like most of the current polititons then it would just be more of the same.

However I agree with you we, Black people, need to stop believing all the propaganda that is directed at us. We need to create our own positive propaganda.

Thanks

Miriam said...

Mes Deux Cents,

Thanks for commenting. this "we are not a monolith" I hear it. And I do believe it.

However, there is something that I can't quite put my hands on, but something that seems to bond us all together.

Just as the Jews have different factions, they all seem to know that they are all one.

Quick story: Once I was waiting for a rent-a-car outside of a hotel. A black lady passes by -she also had a head covering. she gives me a quick greeting as she goes to claim her car.

I -wanting to greet her back but didn't quite hear what she said. It sounded like she said, "shalom aleichem" the Jewish greeting. And so I gave the traditional response back,

"Aleichem shalom!"

she looked at me quizically.

Only then I realized that she had said, "salaam o-aleikem" which is the same thing but Muslim version.

I froze. Not sure if she was upset with me.

But then she gave me a cool, reassuring smile and said, "well, we sistahs anyway!" With that, she slipped into her car and drove away.

To this day, that puts a smile on my face thinking about her.

But what does that mean "we sistahs anyway"

As in no matter what, there is this bond of I-dunno-what.

I feel it. I know there is some sort of bond but can't quite point at it and say, "that's it".

Perhaps I'll blog about it...